Chapter 7 Notes | Physics 1st Year
- What do you know about the oscillatory motion?
- State Hook’s law.
- Define SHM and Restoring Force.
- Show that an object attached to a horizontal mass spring system executes simple harmonic motion.
- Define the term for an object executing SHM.
- Derive the expression of displacement, velocity and acceleration for an object executing SHM by considering uniform circular motion.
- What do know about the term phase?
- Derive the expressions for angular frequency, time period, displacement and velocity for the vase of horizontal mass spring system.
- Find out the expression of time period of simple pendulum.
- Prove that law of conservation of energy is satisfied for an object executing SHM.
- Differentiate among free and forced oscillations.
- What do you know driven harmonic oscillator.
- Define the term resonance. Also describe few examples of resonance phenomenon occurring in daily life.
- Define the term damping.
- Write note on damped oscillations.
- What do you understand by sharpness in resonance.
- Describe the effect of damping on resonance and its sharpness.
Exercise Short Questions:
- Name the two characteristics of SHM?
- Does frequency depend on the amplitude for harmonic oscillator.
- Can we realize an idea simple pendulum?
- What is total distance traveled by an object moving with SHM in a time equal to its period, if its amplitude is A?
- What happens to period of simple pendulum if its length is doubled? What happens if the suspended mass is doubled?
- Does the acceleration of simple harmonic oscillator remains constant during its motion?