Chapter 8 Notes | Physics 1st Year
- Define the term wave.
- Differentiate among mechanical and electromagnetic waves.
- What do you know about Progressive or travelling waves?
- What do you know about periodic waves.
- Describe the different properties of transverse periodic waves.
- Derive the expression for the speed of wave through a medium.
- How the longitudinal periodic waves are represented by waveform.
- Describe the formula for the speed of sound in term of modulus of elasticity of the medium.
- How Newton derived the formula for speed of sound.
- Describe the Laplace’s correction in the Newton’s Formula for speed of Sound.
- Describe the effect of Variation of Pressure, Density and Temperature on speed of sound in a gas.
- Show that one degree Celsius rise in temperature produces approximately 0.61 m/s increases the speed of sound.
- State the principal of Superposition of waves. Also describe its significance.
- What do you know about the interference of waves? Also describe different types of interference phenomenon.
- What do you know about the beats phenomenon? Also describe its applications.
- Describe the two conditions of reflection of waves.
- What are the stationary waves?
- How the stationary waves are produced in stretched string?
- Describe the expression of frequency of stationary waves produce in a stretched string.
- What is an organ pipe?
- Describe the phenomenon of stationary waves in air column.
- Describe the expression of frequency of stationary waves produce in the air column of open organ pipe.
- Describe the application of Doppler effect.