Chapter 11 Notes | Chemistry 2nd Year
“Alcohols, Phenols And Ethers”
- Alcohols and phenols are hydroxyl derivatives of aliphatic and hydrocarbons.
- Alcohols usually named by replacing ‘e’ for the alkane with ‘ol’
- In Pakistan ethanol is prepared commercially from molasses
- Fermentation is a biochemical phenomenon which my occur naturally or artificially
- Ethyl alci=ohol gives different products when reacts with H2SO4 of different concentration.
- Ethyl alcohol is used as a solvent, as a beverage and as a fuel.
- Primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols can be distinguished by Lucas test
- Picric acid is a phenol which behaves like an acid.